Followers

Friday, October 10, 2014

31 days of Halloween day 10 with Bonnie


Welcome to day 10 of the 31 days of Halloween organized by Smeared and Smudged,
blogroll is in the side bar .
Airless Chambers is also a Cryptkeeper in the Halloween countdown 2013, for the complete list of 192 Cryptkeepers joining the countdown to Halloween, see link here


It's Bonnie here today with a Day of the Dead tag using the RSD image, Madama de la Noche which can be found in Rick's Zibbet shop. As a Canadian, I was not familiar with Day of the Dead celebrations until recently when I did a little research to satisfy my curiosity.


I coloured Madama de la Noche with Prismacolor pencils, fussy cut her, and popped her up on foam tape. The moon was a circle punched from watercolour paper and inked with Scattered Straw, Spiced Marmalade, and Picked Raspberry Distress inks. A scrap of cheesecloth became the mysterious cloud partially covering the moon. The headstone comes from a tag download from my stash.


The tag which was black to begin with was given a white checked border with white paint pen and white gesso. Black gesso dots were added to the centers of the white spaces. Grass was cut from green cardstock with a Joy Crafts die and then deepened with Mowed Lawn Distress ink.


When I was reading about the symbols of the Day of the Dead celebration, I discovered that marigolds are usually included in the decorations because their scent draws the deceased back to earth for the reunion celebration. I included some tiny punched "marigolds" at the bottom of the headstone and a larger one to decorate the ribbon topper.

I had a blast creating this tag. Hope you are having fun hopping. Thanks for visiting today.

Bonnie

17 comments:

maureenjscott said...

Awesome tag Bonnie! I didn't know that about the marigolds, fabulous addition! Love your image and colouring! x

DonnaMundinger said...

I knew this was Bonnie's immediately. Her colors always pop against the black. Fab image and great details. I happen to think marigold stink, but I suppose, so do the dead. LOL xxD

NanB said...

Like you I am very new to Day of the Dead but reading about it proved very interesting. I am so glad you shared about the marigolds; I knew nothing about them! The moon is spectacular and Madame is colored so beautifully! This makes a wonderful tag! And how could I almost forget the cheese cloth? Brilliant for the foggy cloud!

Steph said...

Wow, your colors are brilliant! Love how everything just pops off the tag. I din't know that about the marigolds, they are the perfect addition to your tag.

DogsMom said...

Bonnie - there is so much detail here to love. And I really appreciate your explanation of the symbolism.

That cloud addition is fabulous.

Sarah Bales Strom said...

Beautiful tag! Love your coloring and the use of the cheesecloth as the cloud covering the moon--perfect!

TangledBlueRose said...

Gorgeous tag! I love the coloring on the Madame, all the details all over the tag, just stunning! Thank you for sharing more about Day of the Dead.
~kim

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

Fantastic Tag. Love the bright colors and the textures.

Rick said...

very cool-I love tags and you have done a great job on this one-love the cheesecloth wafting cloud-great idea

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

A wicked cool DOTD tag, her outfit is to die for, beautfully coloured!

Susan Renshaw said...

Wonderful tag! Love madame de la Noche - super colouring!

Monique Van dijk said...

Awesome. I love the colours

Rebecca pettit said...

so bright and awesome. This 2 is a rare day of the Dead find that I liKe

Julia said...

Awesome tag, great coloring and so many details.

Sarah Nancarrow said...

I had no idea about the marigolds! For a skeleton she is really beautiful, such pretty colours.

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

beautiful tag Bonnie and the marigolds really add that special something else xxxx

Christine Kiehl said...

Such a nice tag you shared!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...