Followers

Monday, May 6, 2013

Drusilla

Hi everyone, Helen/Croms here with a little picture. Well an 8" canvas to be precise. It features Drusilla, The Covent Garden Ghost.
Firstly I'd like to introduce to you a means of getting an image onto a canvas without just sticking down with tape or glue, the image is as one with the canvas. This can be used for digi stamps, especially those that you have pre-coloured, or a picture from a magazine, or as I have done here and used a rubber stamped image. This one is from Sheena Douglas. It works best if the paper with the image is on the thinner side, not card. I stamped my image of the gothic archway onto ordinary cheap printer paper.
The canvas was first coated with gesso here. You can use a medium such as "gel medium" but gesso is what I had on hand and it works just as well. Whilst the gesso was still wet, the image was pressed into it, face down. Then the boring bit, this has to be allowed to dry naturally to avoid bubbling and cracking of the gesso. When this was dry, the paper was dampened and gently rubbed off with a finger. This leaves the image imprinted into the surface.

In this canvas I chose to decorate with embossing paste using some Andy Skinner masks I recently bought. Embossing pastes do come in a variety of colours but although I chose to use the black glossy one here, I have achieved  some success by using white grunge paste mixed with different coloured acrylic paints. If a more sparkly effect were wanted, glitter could be sprinkled on before drying as well.
Our leading lady, Drusilla, came next. She was coloured using promarkers. then fussy cut out and stuck to silver card. A ghost has to have an aura surrounding it, doesn't it?
A spellbinders die cut fence and some home made roses with little bunches of black tulle to compliment that worn by Drusilla. I added a little black feather here for fun as well.
The picture here was framed with lace and an embossed die cut
The roses, as I mentioned are home made.
a step by step pictorial of how I made these
a small dab of glue


 I use a silicon type of glue here








9 comments:

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Ack! Gorgeous and educational! I love how you applied the background using gel medium. Fabulous tip. Loving those roses and Drusilla is perfection!

Aletha J. Williams said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the tutorial. What a great way to get an image transfer without the shine.
Hugs,
Aletha

Jacki Daniels said...

Helen this is gorgeous love all the details and texture might have to try this

Sharon Sahl said...

Very clear explanation of transfer into gesso and wonderful project!

Penny said...

Wow, so creative and just fantastic! Love your mixed media project! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

thanks every one :D xx

~Lady B~ said...

Gorgeous canvas and fabulous tutorials! I will definitely be giving the image transfer a try as well as the making of the flowers. Knowing me, I'll wait until my stash runs out before making my own ;)

Lady Bug Stampers said...

wow love this am gonna have to give it a try

Andrea C said...

Fantastic and fab tutorial. Love all of the detail and the explanation is perfect x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...