Followers

Friday, April 5, 2013

My Favorite Pet

Today I have an art journal page for you using one of my favorite images from Rick St. Dennis MFA. Meet Heidi. I am one of the guest designers, from Rick's Elite Design Team, at Left of Center Creative Challenge Blog, AND Rick is sponsoring this challenge! These challenges are a lot of fun. You can go alternative or main stream. If you go main stream, there will be a theme you have to follow. But if you go left of that, the alternative route, you can create anything you want as long as it is Goth, Steampunk, dark, edgy, creepy, mythical, grunge, you get it…”alternative.”
 

Rick created Heidi as one of his designs for his Randi Dandi series (my favorite series!) and she worked out perfectly for this challenge. I did not know what I wanted to do with her, until I glanced at my fridge door. One of the magnets jumped out at me “A Home with pet hair is not a home at all!” Of course, a journal page with a rat as a pet. Why not!
 

The journal that I am using for this project is 5½” x 8½” page size and the paper is for mixed-media. I first covered it in white gesso. After that was dry, I then sprayed Dylusions ink in Bubblegum Pink and Black Marble. Before I went any further and after the Dylusions was dry I sprayed a fixative over the page to make it waterproof for my next steps.
 

First I colored Heidi with Copics. Next step was figuring out my page layout. I knew that I wanted Heidi and Rat in the center, but offset a little. Then I computer generated the sentiment (I guess you would call that a sentiment), got all the cut and laid out. Finished the main pieces layout, but I need background noise before those were glued down.  I decided on a few background stamps from Unity and stamped with Archival Black Ink on white tissue paper, tore around those images (you want ragged edges when using tissue paper) and adhered to the page with gel medium. The tissue paper almost melts into the original background. I was using a satin varnish in collage work, but the gel medium is really the way to go, not as thick as the varnish.  Next step was a glass of a delicious German white wine (if I could spell the name I would let you know what my favorite is).

Wine done…now it's time for a stencil and embossing paste. The stencil, Flower Frame, is from The Crafter’s Workshop and works great with Dreamweaver’s Embossing Paste. (Another glass of wine to help the paste dry faster.) After the flowers were dry, I then glued down Heidi, and built the frame around her with embossing paste. I liked the texture it created. The quote was glued down. After everything was VERY dry, I decided to use a FaberCastell Pitt big brush artist pen in black to highlight around all images. My journal page is complete. I hope you like it.
 

Look what I found on Pinterest yesterday! The quote was “never thought I would find a cute rate.” Perfect timing, I think.

Now, let’s get back to this Left of Center Creative Challenge Blog. You really need to join in and have some fun. As I said, Rick is the sponsor, and the winner gets to pick two (2) images of their choice from his Etsy shop. If you use a Rick St. Dennis image, we would love and have you show us your entry at our Facebook group and our group at Paper Craft Planet.

Thanks for stopping by Airless Chambers!
Aletha Jane
 

5 comments:

Creepy Glowbugg said...

LOve the image, the colors, and the overall layout! Beautiful work! Such a cute rat pic, too!

Rick St. Dennis said...

That looks great-love her hair

monique said...

looks great, love the hair too and the rat is so cute

Carla said...

This is just fabulous! I love it!

Julia said...

Aletha, as always your art is gorgeous. Loving your art journal.
Thanks to rick for sponsoring our challenge over at Left of Center.
Hugs,
Jula

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...